How To Build A Site-10 Easy Steps
How many individuals in cyberspace, would like to know how to build a site? My best estimate is at least 9 out of 10. The fact is, it's easy to accomplish. Whether you are the hands on nerd, like me, that has to do everything, or the director type that outsources everything, it's easy to build a site.
The following list will explain the 10 easy steps in how to build a site using a cms (content management system).
How To Build A Site: 1-10
- 1. Choose Domain Name:
- The first thing you want to do, is come up with a great name, think about it, talk it over with your friends that are in the age group you hope to attract to your site. Try to think of a name with your niche (category) included if possible. For instance: Joes Bicycles, Joes Beach Cruisers, Joes Cycle shop, these are examples. Go to Google Adwords keyword tool. Find the name that will bring you the most visitors through Google Search.
- 2. Buy Domain Name:
- Go to Godaddy and see if the domain name you like is available, then purchase the name, it runs
around $11 a year. you can click the banner at the top of this page.
- 3. Set up your hosting account:
- Click the GoDaddy banner at the top of this page and set up the Domain you purchased to a Godaddy server if you haven't already done it. This is your hosting account, I've used Godaddy for around 10 years, it's still the best value.
- 4. Get PayPal Account:
- It is very important for you to set up a PayPal account if you want to do business incyberspace. It makes it easy to buy and sell services and products in cyberspace. You can easily transfer money back and forth from a bank account. It's an extremely secure and trustworthy service, I've used it for years and recommend it to my best friends.
- 5. Upload your CMS:
- to your Web host. I prefer to use open source CMS rather than a proprietary cms because you can keep your site up to date much easier and cheaper with open source. I suggest you use only Drupal cms (my choice), Wordpress (the
simplest cms), or Joomla (very good cms), or oscommerce (strictly e-commerce).The best reason to use an open source cms is the fact that you own it, you can change and update it as you wish.
- 6. Select Your Theme or template:
- You can select an existing Template, make your own template or have someone make you one that is compatible with your cms.
- 7. Build your site:
- If you are wondering how to build a site that is already uploaded to your server, You can put up any "coming soon" front page and build your site behind it, in fact you can collect emails from visitors who land on your temporary front page. You can also install a Bitnami stack to your laptop and build a site on a localhost, then upload it to your host's server.
- 8. Launch:
- Rename the page you've been building to your Front page and that's it. If you need any help, use your Paypal account for adding content, graphics, whatever you need to outsource, you can also use your PayPal account to put "add to cart" buttons on your site and sell a small number of items without having to install a full blown e-commerce capability.
- 9. Start A Twitter Account:
- You gotta have a Twitter account for your site. It's easy to start a Twitter account takes about 2 minutes click here how to build a site-Twitter and start one now. Build Your Twitter Page: build your Twitter account by hand, it's easy but time consuming.
- 10. Join Social Bookmarking and Networking sites:
- Digg, Delicious, Facebook, LinkedIn, you get the point.
Learn How To Build A Site
If you want to learn how to build a site, just follow these 10 easy steps. There are many more additional steps you can use in building a
If you need some help building your site check out our Web Design page we can publish your site to your ISP and set up your CMS including the database the correct way. We know all the tricks, we know the dependancies and which modules work best together.
That way if you're having trouble launching your site, maybe we can help. We specialize in Drupal cms but we can publish a Wordpress or Joomla site for you as well, it's the same price. If you need SEO content to finish a site, check out our content creation page.